We are incredibly excited to offer our visitors a truly unique bespoke opportunity to experience the crafts and culture of Ireland through masterclasses, workshops, demonstrations and guided craft and heritage tours.
Thread Softly Through Ireland is an experience like no other. A celebration of traditional and contemporary stitch combined with guided tours of the heritage sites that inspired them. Experience hands on masterclasses and demonstrations, Thread and Craft sightseeing as well as general sightseeing. For such a small country Ireland has a huge variety of lace and embroidery which styles are linked to the religious, heritage and natural environments. This is an exclusive tour and places are limited to ensure a truly personal and unique experience.
Thread Softly Through Ireland follows on from the success of Thread Softly Festival which took place in Mountmellick, County Laois in September 2019. The Festival celebrates the story of the Quakers and Mountmellick Embroidery, both of which are inextricably linked. The festival is a two day event which includes masterclasses in Mountmellick Embroidery, Stories of the Quakers and the history of the now world famous white on white stitch and tours of Mountmellick and areas associated with the Quaker heritage.
- Small, bespoke Masterclasses and Demonstrations with local embroidery masters, lace makers, traditional and contemporary stitch.
- Guided tours with local guides of surrounding natural heritage sites
- The stories of the history of the hundreds of lace around Ireland
- Share knowledge and expertise with your fellow stitchers.
- Make great friends here in Ireland and all round the world who can come back again and again.
What is included?
Some of the heritage sites are, but not limited to, Mountmellick, Quaker Town, Co. Laois. The Hunt Museum, Limerick, Glendalough, Monastic City, Wicklow.
Some of the Thread Masterclasses are, but not limited to, Mountmellick Embroidery and Limerick Lace.
You do not need to be an expert, Thread Softly is suitable for all levels and everyone will gain knowledge from the tour.